Wednesday, June 20, 2012

June's Feature Sponsor: { Dress Me Retro }

Description of Photo
Since taking the big leap and offering Sponsorship for the very first time, I have been very lucky to meet some incredible business minded mamas and learn more about their passion for both parenting and productivity. The very first featured sponsor on Winter Love, is Dress Me Retro; A sweet little business local to me buying and selling vintage clothing and collectibles.  

Meet Alison, the wonder woman behind the business!
Description of Photo
Description of Photo
I live with my partner Mark and our beautiful 3 year old daughter, Katie. Katie is my pride and joy and I'm so happy I made the decision to be a full time WAHM. We have a lot of fun op-shopping and hunting markets together. I get all warm and fuzzy inside when she says “We’re best friends aren’t we mum?”

I love thrifting and will quite happily spend my weekend exploring markets and antique shops. I am a masterchef! I adore food and cooking and on the few times a year I get to have a date with Mark I always insist on going to the best restaurants Hobart has to offer. Smolt in Salamanca Square is my absolute favourite.

I also have a dark side! I am part of a paranormal group called ‘Australian Paranormal Investigation Unit’(APIU). We do paranormal investigations or ‘ghost hunting’ of old buildings around Australia. We have a documentary on willow court, Australia's oldest mental asylum located in new Norfolk, coming out in the next few months. It is always a lot of fun and sometimes absolutely terrifying!

Description of Photo
I have the most amazing parents in the world. My mum, Vikki, and my step dad, Scott, have been plotting my adventure into vintage and antiques since I was a kid I'm sure! We live together, work together and still maintain a healthy, solid relationship. I grew up with them in an old 1830’s farm house, filled with antiques and kitsch homewares. They dragged me with them around markets, op shops, auctions and garage sales teaching me what to look for and how to spend $5 and turn it into $10. I am a fashion fanatic. I may not have always been dressed stylishly myself but I could easily rattle off the latest styles, designers and on-trend colours. My mum has a collection of Edwardian and Victorian clothes, which I have always found so beautiful.

I worked in a fashion retail shop for a couple of years after my daughter was born but with child care costs and my mounting frustration of not being home enough for my family (I had to work weekends quite often) I started looking for a new job. My step dad sat me down one night and asked me what I loved. Vintage fashion was the answer! So he offered me a shop space in his antique shop and we’ve been working together since, building a vintage empire!
Description of Photo
Finances are obviously the biggest challenge when it comes to starting your own business. Add on top of that a young family and rising living costs and it is super scary worrying about where you’ll find the extra money for this or that. Also organization has been tough. I have always struggled in this area but really notice it now. I have to be able to allocate time to my business as well as time with my daughter, partner, housework, friends, exercise, time to myself… the list goes on! I really wish there were more hours in the day!
Description of Photo
My biggest motivation is proving to myself that I can build this business, stick at it and make a living from it. I am inspired by others around me and have recently embraced my inner crafty side! There will be some interesting handmade bits and pieces hitting store in the next few months. I am also motivated by Katie because I would like for her to be proud of her Mum, and to teach her good values and work ethics. Secretly, I would love for her to grow up and want to join forces with me as well!

Happiness is what's most important and I genuinely love what I do. I see some amazing things, meet amazing people and hear some amazing stories so I wouldn’t change a thing. And besides, I have a MASSIVE wardrobe to pick from when a special occasion arises!
Description of Photo
Quality is always the first thing that comes to mind when buying vintage. Stuff was made to last back in 'those days' and I think people took better care of their things because they weren’t as easily accessible as they are now. You can pick up some amazing vintage clothes for next to nothing at op shops and some vintage retailers. And besides, why spend $100 on a 1950’s styled dress when you can buy the real thing for the same price?

Description of Photo

My ultimate tip? Create a unique style. You can find plenty of one off vintage pieces that no one has seen before. I can guarantee 9 times out of 10 that if you are wearing a beautiful vintage piece someone will notice and comment on it.
Description of Photo
It was only the other day I picked up an amazing 1950’s ball gown. It is in shades of pastel pink, blue and seafoam. It was also used in a production of the Wizard of Oz for the character Glenda the Good Witch.
Description of Photo
Ideally, I want to have a pretty shop front of my own and be able to afford to hire someone to help out (so I don’t have to work 7 days a week) I would love to generate enough profit so that I can live off my wage. I would love to be able to travel around Australia, having a stall at all the vintage fashion fairs. (You will see me at the next fair in Hobart in September). I also dream of travelling to Europe and the U.S. in search of unique vintage items.

Description of Photo
You can find Dress Me Retro here on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
Description of Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment